As a smart shopper, you would want to consider some Refrigerator FAQ (frequently asked questions) when it comes to purchasing a new refrigerator. Here are questions that we anticipate to be some of what you have in mind.
1. What is the perfect temperature for a refrigerator?
A refrigerator is intended to maintain the freshness of any food item through its cooling capacity. It prolongs the life of your dairy products, meats and produce. The coldness of the refrigerator should be moderate so you won’t end up freezing your food items. Ideally, a refrigerator that is used domestically should have a temperature of 35 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Why does a refrigerator have frost?
Frost forms in a refrigerator when cold coils are hit by water vapor. This is the same situation as the formation of a steam as you breathe in a cold window where water vapor condenses and becomes water. In a refrigerator, water freezes as it condenses onto the coils and forms a frost.
3. What is involved in the functioning of a refrigerator?
A refrigerator functions due to compressed gas properties. The refrigerant gas is constricted by the compressor increasing the chemical refrigerant pressure and the temperature. The coil of the outside portion of a refrigerator that exchanges heat lets the refrigerant to consume the extra heat produced due to pressurization. This is the reason why there is heat that you can feel from the vent.
The refrigerant turns liquid as it cools down. The liquid passes through an expansion valve that lets it to flow from high to low pressure zones. This is the process that pushes water to expand and evaporate. This means that the refrigerant absorbs heat as it evaporates and makes it cold. This process is what makes the inside part of a refrigerator very cold because there are components there that let the refrigerant to absorb heat.
4. What’s the purpose of the fan in a refrigerator?
A lot of refrigerators nowadays are composed of two fans. You can see one under the refrigerator which works to keep the compressor from heating and push air through the exterior coils of the fridge. The other fan is located inside the refrigerator. It is intended to push air to surround the coils that enhances the fridge’s cooling efficiency. This fan can be useful if you own a refrigerator that is frost-free.
5. How does a frost-free fridge function?
Majority of refrigerator models these days, except some compact refrigerator models, are frost-free. This frost-free feature is composed of the timer, temperature sensor and heating coil. You set the timer to turn the heating coil at different intervals. The heating coil is cloaked to the freezer coils. As the heating coil is turned on, the ice is melted off the freezer coils. When you remove the ice, the temperature sensor will be able to sense the rise of the temperature to over 32 degrees Fahrenheit. At this point, it delivers a signal to turn the heater off.
6. How to prevent refrigerators from unwanted odor?
You might experience that putting boxes of baking soda to your fridge would not be enough to remove an unpleasant odor in your unit. You can follow this process to solve this problem.
• Remove all items inside your refrigerator. You are pretty sure that one of the items inside your fridge causes the smell, so taking everything out from the unit will reduce the intensity of the odor.
• Check out those spoiled foods and throw them away. Making sure that the food items inside your refrigerator are still fresh and not spoiled is important for both the health of your family and your fridge. Be particular about opening any container that you placed in the fridge. You might not like what you could see inside.
• Clean the shelving. A lot of refrigerators come with shelves that protect the other parts of the fridge from any spill. You can just take the shelves out and wash them. If you find other parts of the fridge that need tom be removed, feel free to do so. Use soapy water to hand wash all the items. Never use a dishwasher to clean them as some of them should not be exposed to excess heat which could melt and deform them.
• Use hot soapy water to wash the door gasket. Use dish soap for this and make sure that you rinse properly the area when you are done to make sure that there will be no soap residue that will make it harder for you to close the door.
• Make sure that the liner of the door and the interior walls are also washed. Mix a solution of 2-4 teaspoonfuls of baking soda and a quart of hot water. Using this solution, clean the refrigerator interiors with a clean sponge. Clean also the vent exteriors and the light. Once you are done, wipe the refrigerator dry and allow the air to dry the interiors by leaving the door open.
• For odors that are really hard to remove, get a couple of cookie sheets to which you spread a box of baking soda. Put them both on the top and bottom shelves of the refrigerator. Usually, this is helpful in absorbing any excess odors.
If you have done everything and still you can smell those unwanted odors, this means that the odors might have penetrated into the insulation. It’s time then to seek the help of a professional to replace the insulation.
7. Why is a black paint used for the back of the refrigerator?
This can be answered by the nature norm that says “a color that is excellent in absorbing heat is expected to be exceptional in radiating heat.” One of the most important functions that the external coils of your refrigerator do is to radiate heat, so these coils are painted black to aid the process.
8. Is it possible for me to recycle my old refrigerator?
This is actually a very common green FAQ that customers ask and we should say that yes you can definitely recycle your old refrigerator. Majority of the parts of a refrigerator can be recycled, from the plastic and glass shelving to the rubber gaskets that are placed in the door. Usually, 95% of the fridge parts are recyclable.
9. Why is the light of my refrigerator not coming on?
If this is the case, it could be that the bulb in your fridge is burned out. Try to see if there is a dark area in the bulb or maybe a loose or broken filament. If you try to shake the bulb and you can hear some sounds within, this means a filament is damaged. It’s then time to go to a hardware or merchandise store to buy a new bulb, usually 25 watts. When you got one, unplug the refrigerator and replace the old bulb with that new one.
However, if see that there’s nothing wrong with your bulb and the light just does not come on as you open the door, there might be a stuck button. A plunger-type button operates the light. This button is released and activates the light as the door opens. This button can stuck over time due to the accumulation of dirt and dust. This requires you to clean it with a cloth and warm water to release it.
10. Is it fine to turn my refrigerator off to save energy?
It’s fine to turn off your fridge from time to time; however, this requires you to remember to turn it on again before it gets warm so you won’t end up spoiling you foods. Honestly, this is not recommended. Rather, you can just lower down the temperature and make sure to fill it with some food or gallon-sized water containers so the temperature will be maintained even if you open the door. It remains necessary to be careful with lowering the temperature to keep your food fresh. It makes sense to follow what the instruction manual of your refrigerator suggests.
Incoming search terms:
- no frost refrigerator faq